Thursday, July 16, 2009

Homemade dog treats


So I took the step and ventured into the world of making my own dog treats for Daisy. These were pretty simple, the only thing that was 'work' about them was the amount of rolling, flattening and twisting before they went in the oven. I'll make these again for sure but I think I'll come up with a different shape to use make more of a pretzel looking thing instead of a twist.

I have a few more recipes for dog treats that I'm looking to try after these are gone and I have one recipe for Feline Fish balls that I'll have to try soon as well. I'll test them out on my sisters overweight cat since my kitty is still in Alabama. I'll keep you posted.

Dog Cheese Twists

Ingredients:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 egg
3/4 cup water

Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Mix all ingredients except 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Knead until thoroughly mixed.

Roll dough into quarter-sized balls. On a lightly floured surface, roll balls into pencil-shaped “sticks” and roll in remaining parmesan until coated. Flatten with rolling pin or by hand.

Twist each about 6-8 time and place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 30 minutes. Cool on pan and store in airtight container. Yields 18 sticks.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: