Wednesday, September 8, 2010

3D Canvas Wall Art.

This post is going to sound a little strange at first, but stick with me you could be amazed by the end of it. :)

Take a pretty long length of masking tape, the 2 inch wide kind and folded it over almost all the way, but leave a small part of the edge sticky.
Now get a canvas, the kind that has the wooden edge around all four sides. I started almost in the bottom right corner, but you can start anywhere you like. Using the sticky side smush the tape around in a ruffled, crunched looking circle, pressing the sticky part of the tape onto the canvas to hold your shape in place. Keep going around and around in a somewhat tight circle until you run out of tape.

Until you have something like this...
Here's a side view.
Now for the fun but messy part.  There's this wonderful product called Gesso, that my wonderful boyfriend turned me on to. It's like a Kilz for craft projects. It's exactly what you need if you're going to paint over masking tape with a light colored paint (which I am!) It's the big bottle on the left.
Use a small paintbrush and coat both sides of the masking tape rose with the gesso. I used two coats of gesso before I moved on to craft paint.
I added another flower and a coat of craft paint. Why the craft paint if the gesso covered the masking tape? I'm glad you asked. The gesso goes on thick and with a small paintbrush it's hard not to leave brush marks. The craft paint smooths all that out.
Now for the rest of the canvas that isn't covered in gesso making tape flowers I covered with black craft paint. Make sure to get underneath the outer flower edges for a clean look.

Now print out some black and white photos of your kids, pets, loved ones, whatever may match your decor.

I found some cute pearl button stickers that matched the look I was going for so I used them to attach the photos to the canvas.
Pretty cool if I do say so myself. I'm so happy with how this project turned out. It took a few weeks to get just right and some trial and error. DO NOT USE ModPog on this project if you print out your photos on paper like I did. They'll wrinkle and not ever want to come off. 

Now I have kicking new 3D wall art for my black and white bedroom. I plan on changing the pictures of the kids every year too and since I used the sticker buttons to adhere the photos onto the canvas it'll be easy to change out as the kids grow.


I'm linking up:  


           HookingupwithHoH             Beyond The Picket Fence 




11 comments:

Unknown said...

This is VERY cool. I love the gloss. Found you at It's so Very Cheri.

Hugs,
Jami

Unknown said...

Hi,
I really like it, because this is just so stunning and adorable,your work is oustanding!!! What a unique style you have.I love it! for sharing such a wonderful blog,Keep it up...!!
Your photo on canvas

Kathy said...

honestly love it! Visiting from It's So Cheri

a Vintage Cottage said...

Really crafty and brilliant idea. This turned out so so great. thanks for sharing.

Lorie said...

That is very cool! They look really great. Thanks for linking them up to Show and Tell Saturday!

Inspired by you said...

Never would have thought to use masking tape. How creative! Love it!

Stephanie said...

I just saw this on Funky Junk Interiors and I swear at first I thought you used fabric and then read what you used and was stunned! That looks so cool! I am going to try that. I bet you could do it with all those cool colored duct tapes that are out there too! Love it!

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

What a great idea! It looks so stunning! Thanks SO much for joining in on Thrilling Thursdays @ Paisley Passions. I hope to see you again next week :)
~Lori S.
Thrilling Thursdays @Paisley Passions

Sandy Ang said...

They look so great !

Unknown said...

This is great! Love it! Thanks so much for linking up:)

Anonymous said...

NO WAY is that masking tape!! How crazy! Very creative! I'll have to give it a try! Thanks for linking up to our party today!

Ellie