Monday, August 10, 2009

Marbles and butter.

A conversation I had with my 6 year old Isaac Saturday night before bed.

"Mom, what do you do with marbles?"
"Well you can play a game with them."
"But can't you do something else with marbles?"
*I had to stop and think for a second. If I tell him what I use marbles for he's going to want to try it himself and it's a lot of 'work' and it'll end up with me doing the majority of the work so should I go ahead and tell him? Oh ok!!
"Well mommy uses marbles to make butter."
"WHAT?!?! How do you use marbles to make butter? You can make butter?"


"You take a big jar and pour something called whipping cream into it....."




"Then you and Evan Grace can each drop in one marble, then screw on a lid and you shake
and shake and shake until you can't hear the marble clank around inside the jar anymore.
After that you have to keep shaking it until you hear the marbles hit the jar again."



"When that happens you've made butter!"



"Mom?"
"What Isaac?"
"Can we make marble butter tomorrow?"
"Sure we can."

In all reality I ended up shaking the 'marble butter' for almost 35 minutes. Isaac and Evan Grace bailed after about 5 minutes of shaking each. But we not only have wonderful fresh butter but we had a small glass of buttermilk to go with it, maybe for a cake later this week or some scratch bread or biscuits. (If you make butter at home this way, don't forget to dig out the 2 marbles before serving the butter.)



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this. I just love it.