Monday, March 24, 2008

Demanding at Three

I've been told by many that my son is a heartbreaker. That he has a sweetness about him that just wins you over. And, being partial of course, I have to agree. I've seen his sweetness in how me loves on me and his younger sister especially.
But then there's his dark side. It's like a switch has been flipped and he's went from sweet and loving to rude and mean. I have a hard time saying that about my son but the truth is the truth. I guess it's the joys of having a 3 year old strong willed child. Mackenzie was never, I'll repeat, NEVER like that. She had her moments of course, but it wasn't daily and it sure wasn't hourly either.
At times I feel like all I do is use the spank spoon or hand out warnings. "That's your warning Isaac, if you speak ugly to mom again you'll have to get the spank spoon." Do you know how tired I am of saying that let alone having to actually do it?
He reminds me of a friend I use to have back home, her little boy Daniel. I remember babysitting Daniel and thinking 'why in the world can't they get a handle on this boy?' Now I know. Now I have the benefit of raising a wonderful boy for Christ but with the added work and stress of being a strong willed boy. I think it'll be wonderful for him when he gets older and more established in what he wants to do with life. But it's giving him the boundaries right now that I pray he stays inside of as he grows that's wearing me out.
It's a battle I'm not giving up on. The first 5 years are the most formitive and what set your personality, views and right and wrong cores in place. I'm got two more years before that.....but I somehow feel it's not going to get much easier.
He's worth it though, I wouldn't trade my little buddy for anything.

No comments: