Monday, November 1, 2010

Messenger Bag.

I just finished reading a friend of mines latest blog post over at Sew Random about not getting a chance to sit down and sew anything for a couple of weeks. I've been having the same struggle the past month but this past week I was happy to sit down and jump back into a pretty big project.

Boy Toy wanted a Messenger Bag big enough to hold all his man stuff for college, work and life. After some searching for the right style of bag, he was helpful enough to pick out the fabric he liked, as well as the webbing for the strap.

Here's the front of the bag. I have to admit, I wasn't so excited about working with this pattern of fabric but once I sewed the first seam I was in love with it. It's very forgiving and once I finished I was deep in love with it. I also didn't realize until after I started piecing everything together that this bag has an intended ragged look. The frayed edges and purposefully exposed interfacing made this a really easy sewing project.
When you open the top flap there are two pockets on the front of the bag. You can really see the interfacing edges here. I haven't put the snaps on the pocket flaps yet because I don't feel like they are strong enough to hold closed. I may go for black Velcro if I can't find a tougher snap to use and if Boy Toy approves.
I added in something Boy Toy asked for but that the pattern we settled on didn't account for. An open pocket on one side of the bag for soda, or water. I left the edges exposed like the rest of the bag and I'm pleased with how it turned out.
There's even a back pocket on the back of the messenger bag. I should have taken a picture of the inside but I forgot. This thing is enormous and Boy Toy has been using it the past couple of days and he's very pleased with how much it can hold. It looks really handsome on his shoulder too.
I was so excited to get a chance to sew again that I whipped up a nightgown out of an extra pillowcase for Evan Grace, that I'll post later this week and I even made her a quick bag for her Squinkes.

Now all I need to do is figure out which project to start on next and get on it. The sewing but has been activated.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Lisa Laree said...

Good for you, Jess! I gave myself permission to ignore a ton of housework tonight and work on the striped blouse...it would help a LOT if I could find the pattern and instructions, but for now I'm winging it. I'm wishing I'd turned parts of it on the bias, as the stripes don't match well due to curves in the seams and it's a little jarring. Oh well. ;-)

Great bag!