Monday, December 20, 2010

Zippered Camera Pouch

My sister and I got my mom a new digital camera for Christmas....,shhhh don't tell, and since camera's no longer come with any kind of camera case or pouch I decided to make her one.

Here's a small list of supplies you'll need if you want to make one of your own for your camera or anything really.
2-8x7 1/2'' of outer fabric
2- 8-7 1/2 of lining fabric, (I used muslin because it's soft)
1-8'' or longer zipper
Some form of embellishment for the outside of the pouch either store bought or made by you, or nothing at all if you prefer.

Though you can't see it in the picture but I ironed on some fusible interfacing to the outer pieces of fabric. The more padding for this camera pouch the better, especially if you're hard on your equipment like my mom is. :)

Aside from ironing all your fabric nice and flat, turn down about 1/4'' along the top of the outer fabric pieces. This will be the part you sew to the zipper.

I was gifted a dress from a buddy, and honestly, I rarely wear dresses. Skirts yes, jeans yes, cargo pants yes, but a dress....rarely. I did however, like the buttoned ruffles up the front. I cut this from the original fabric to use for the front of this pouch.

Since my embellishment was sewn shut at the bottom and could unbutton I was able to sew a line down the outside row of buttons to attach this to the middle front of one of the outside pieces of fabric. Button it back up and you're ready to move on to the next step.

Attaching the zipper: The best method I've ever found for attaching a zipper into a pouch, or purse or any kind of project that has lining fabric is as follows: (I hope I can do this well enough for someone to follow!)

Lay your zipper face up. Take one piece of lining fabric and line it up with the bottom of your zipper. You can see the white lining fabric peeking out below the blue zipper.
Now take one of your outer piece of fabric, I use my front piece with the embellishment on it, and place it on top of the bottom of the zipper, as close to the teeth of the zipper as possible. It's almost like a zipper sandwich with the lining fabric on bottom and the outer fabric on top of the zipper. Pin in place and then sew.
Once you finished sewing, open the zipper and fold the lining piece under the zipper, this is what your pouch should look like so far.
Now you're going to do the same thing with the other side of the zipper, except keep the zipper open while pinning and sewing. Here's a pic of how it will look as you're lining it up and pinning it.
 Now, you've attached the zipper and this is what your pouch looks like so far. Looking nice right? And very close to finishing.
Close your zipper about half way and open your pouch so that the right sides of the outer fabric at lined up and the right sides of your lining fabric on are lined up. The zipper will be in the middle. I left the long edges of my embellishment so it would be easier to tell which side has the outer fabric.
Sew a line around all four outer edges, making sure to go over the zipper as well. Leave a 4'' opening for turning right side out. You can see where my sewing line breaks at the top left of the picture below.
 Turn everything right side up and either hand stitch or machine stitch the opening you left for turning everything out, closed. Take time to poke out the 4 corners of your pouch so you don't end up with a puffy, wonky corner. :)
If you make this pouch for your purse, or makeup or odds and ends you can take out the interfacing and it wont be so bulky.
Great! Now I have to pry this out of Evan Grace's fingers so I can give it to my mom.

mmm button

Posted by Picasa

No comments: