Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The smell of home.

Look what I have going on in my kitchen.
DSCN1214
The best Sour Dough Bread starter ever! I use to make it all the time and then life and having babies took over. Boy Toy mentioned Sourdough Bread awhile back ago and it reminded me that I’ve had this recipe sitting in my cookbook for a long time and that I needed to take it out and put it to use again. Want to do it with me?
Here’s the first step to the best Sour Dough Bread ever!!
Sour Dough Bread Starter
1 pk of dry yeast
2 cups plain all purpose flour
1 TBS sugar
2 c warm water
2 TBS instant potato flakes

Mix flour, yeast and sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
Add instant potato’s to warm water and then stir this into the flour mixture.
Cover loosely with aluminum foil or wax paper and let this sit in a warm place for 48 hours.
When your 48 hours is up, measure out 1 cup and place in a covered bowl or mason jar with a lid on it in the refrigerator. Throw the rest away.
Feed your starter for a few weeks before baking your first batch of bread.
I’ll post how to feed your starter as soon as mine is ready to be fed!!!
Mine should be ready to bake around the first of February, I can almost taste it!
~Jess

No comments: