Sunday, February 6, 2011

A Not so Typical Friday.

Friday started innocently enough. The kids and I woke, ate breakfast and while they caught up on some Disney channel I set about picking up the house. Dishes, laundry, a little vacuuming. Harmless right?

Then I sat down around 12:30 to eat lunch with the kids and my left forearm started itching. Nothing usually at this point. But the itching got to the point that it was driving me crazy. I was wearing a long sleeve shirt, so I casually pulled up my sleeve to see if I could see a bite of some kind, some source for all the itching.

What I saw was not a bite, my arm was swollen, red, and hot to the touch.
My first though was allergic reaction, but from what? I got the kids ready and headed to the doctor.
A few hours later my arm was wrapped so tightly the pain was radiating up my arm and I was pretty miserable.

I've had tendinitis in my left wrist for years now and though I'm not sure what I did Friday, I ended up ripping a tendon or two. My doc explained that often times when tendons rip the body will release histamines and that was probably what caused all the itching. So now I'm on heavy anti-inflammatory drugs for the next 20 days and I have to keep this puppy on for at least a week. After I explained to her how much I had been sewing lately (repetitive motions and all) she thinks Contessa and my large stash of fabric was the culprit. I'm sorry Contessa!!!!
But how ugly is this bandage? Super ugly right? I'm not the most trendy of people but I didn't want to walk out of the house wearing this gross thing. So I cut one of the sleeves off a sweater I no longer wore, cut and hemmed a hole in the side and voila! a super cute cover up fingerless glove.
Now I don't feel so bad having to wear this wrap for as long as it takes to heal. (Which can be up to 6 weeks depending on how badly I damaged my arm.)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: