Friday, October 1, 2010

4 Dozen Ears.

I've never purchased this much corn at one time. I was lucky enough to get the last bag of corn on the cob at my local farmer's market (and since I make nice with the guy that manages it...he even cut me a deal on it).

I talked my Boy Toy, who hates corn, into helping me shuck and prep the corn. (At one point I told him we'd have to work on his hatred of corn, because that's just sacrilegious in my eyes, but I digress. We shucked.
Then Boy Toy set about cleaning off the silk with a wet towel while I chopped off the ends of the corn that weren't edible.
I brought a large pot of water to a rolling bowl and adding in 3 ears of corn at a time boiled them for 3-4 minutes.

Then I quickly placed the hot cobs in an ice water bath for 5 minutes...

....before transferring them out of the water and onto a towel to drain some of the excess water off.
 I was excited to use the new corn cob slicer I picked up a week or so ago and boy did it come in handy. I can't imagine how long it would have taken me to cut 4 dozen ears of corn with a knife. Whew!
I saved all the ears of corn and tid bits that didn't make the cut so that the kids and I could take it out to the ends of the backyard and toss them into the wooded area so the deer could enjoy a snack if they so choose.
 Once I had all the corn cut I was ready to bag everything up.
 Since corn isn't acidic you can't can it, but if you use the process above you can freeze it for 6 months to almost a year. Basing my measurements on my family of four I added 4 cups of corn to each freezer bag, pressed out all of the air I could, zipped them up and popped them into the freezer.  Now we get to enjoy corn on the cob without the hassle of shucking,cleaning and steaming.
When you're ready to enjoy the corn just place the bag in the microwave for a few minutes until everything is heated.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm....corn on the cob. Drool. How in the WORLD does someone NOT like corn?!!?!?!? Red flag, Jess. I think he might be crazy!

Anonymous said...

Grrrrr......Did you hear that? THAT was my stomach growling. Crud. Here I am on a diet, and I stupidly went and read your blog. Now I'm hungry. I'm always hungry after I leave your frenzied mutterings. THANKS Jess!

Leisha said...

Love the corn cob slicer gadget!!! Kitchen gadgets that are actually useful make me happy!!