Monday, October 18, 2010

It's raining Apples!!!!

My sister, (bless her heart, I'm sure she's tired of me asking if she's getting anymore apples) got in more apples for me. This bag is full to bursting!!!

I picked through and pulled out 12 lbs of apples, about 24 of them give or take. You don't have to be on the nose with the poundage.
After cutting a lemon in half, and squeezing one half of the lemon into cold water in a large bowl I set about peeling, coring and cutting the apples.
Thank God for my apple corer, honestly my fingers would be finished by the time I finished coring and slicing these puppies. Make sure you drop the apple slices into the lemon water as you cut them to prevent browning.

Bring a large pot of water to a rolling bowl, measure out 6 cups of apple slices and add them to the boiling water.

Cook for only 30 seconds!!!!!!!!

Then using a slotted spoon, transferring the hot apple slices to a bowl with a lid or some kind of pot that will keep the slices warm. I used my crock pot.
Once all of your apple slices have been heated through, add in the following ingredients:
5 1/2 cups of sugar
1 1/2 cups of ClearJel (NOT cornstarch)
1 TBS ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves.
Mix well!!

Now stir in 5 cups of apple juice and 2 1/c cups of cold water. Cook this over medium high heat, stirring constantly, until it starts to thicken and boil. (This picture was taken as I was stirring in the apple juice and water).
Add in 3/4 cup of lemon juice and boil for one minute.
Here comes the fun, somewhat messy part, stir in all the apple slices until coated.
Pack hot apple mixture into sterilized quart canning jars leaving a 1'' headspace. Wipe rims and screw on the lids.  Set upside down on the lids and let cool completely before labeling and storing. One can should be enough for one pie.
I'm stoked about using a jar of this for a pie ASAP.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: