Monday, October 4, 2010

It's taking over.

It's true, canning has taken over my life, well, that and apples. Waste not want not right?

My next adventure in canning was with Apple-Pear Butter.
Start with 2 1/2 pounds of apples, and 2 pounds of pears, cored and quartered.


Pour 3 cups of apple cider, or apple juice into a pot. I LOVE apple cider, so I used Sweet Apple Cider, made from Gala Apples. Place all the apple and pear slices in the apple cider and bring to a boil. Cover and let this simmer for 30 minutes.

Once it's cooked, pour everything into a bowl and blend until you reach a smooth consistency. You can totally use a food mill if you're lucky enough to have one. Then pour the pulp back into the pot.
Add in 2 cups of sugar, 2 TBS fresh lemon juice that's been strained, and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon and let this cook for an hour and a half to 2 hours.
 It will cook down a few inches and get thicker the longer it cooks.



Once it's thick enough carefully label it into jars with about 1/4 inch headspace then screw on the lids. This recipe makes a smaller batch of Apple-Pear Butter but you can easily double or triple it. I kept it small so that I can give these away come Christmas time to friends and family that like homemade goodies but seldom have the time to make them for themselves.
 I quickly running out of room in my pantry for all my canned goodies, it's a sweet problem to have. :)

Posted by Picasa

No comments: