Thursday, January 1, 2009

Sponge Dryer Sheets....Sponges I mean!!!


What's this picture you might ask? Well I posted sometime ago about the Homemade Laundry Detergent I've been making and using and loving. And now I've found the next best thing to go with it. Instead of Dryer Sheets I use sponges. Yep. That's right.

You take Fabric Softener, the cheap cheap cheap kind, or your favorite kind with a great smell, and pour 2-3 cups of it into a container with a lid on it.

Then add equal parts water and stir it like crazy or shake it if you have a super tight lid. (If you're like me, and can't take a heavy perfume smell on my clothes because of migraines then add 5-6 cups of water).

Then buy some good sponges (not the ones with the scouring pad on them) cut them into 4 pieces and throw them in the fabric softener, water combo.

When you're ready to use them, take one sponge piece, wring it out and toss in with a load of wet clothes. When you're laundry is dry just add the sponge back to the bucket to reuse again.

Side Note: I tend to do only Super sized laundry loads at my house, so I use two of the sponge pieces. If you're like me, then I would recommend cutting your sponges in half instead of in 4 pieces. That way you don't have to search for two sponge pieces while you're folding laundry. I love this and it works amazingly well!!!!

Cost Break Down:
Cost of 2 pack 4 quart plastic storage containers with lids: $2.12
(I'll use the other one for homemade antibacterial wipes)
Cost of 6 pack of sponges: $2.68
Cost of Fabric Softener: $3.48 (and you don't even use half the bottle!!!!)

I've got to start keeping a count of how many loads of laundry I can dry with the amount I have in the bucket below!!!!!!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Buffi Young said...

What a great idea girl!!!! I LOVE house hold tips like that!!!! Keep passing them on when you get more!!! :) I'll have to give this one a try!! Hope you're having a great weekend!
Blessings,
Buffi