Saturday, April 25, 2009

Coupons 101: Walgreens

This post is dedicated to all coupons and things Walgreens style. Every Sunday Walgreens puts out a store flyer that's good for that week, from Sunday to Saturday. The flyer also comes with a lot of Walgreens coupons (store coupons) that you can cut and bring and use at Walgreens only.

The way to use coupons at Walgreens to get really great steals and deals is to match up the coupons and sale items in their flyer with manufacture coupons you've clipped from Sundays paper and All You magazine or internet coupons.


Store coupons are only good for the store which produces those coupons, they usually have the name of the store on the coupon its self or says something like 'Redeemable only at Walgreens".

Manufacture coupons are put out by the manufactures of products and can be used anywhere coupons are accepted.

Stacking coupons means you've used a store coupon and a manufacture coupon for the same product.

Here's a Walgreens scenario:

In the picture above you'll see that I circled two items on this part of the Walgreens flyer. These two items are things that I know I have coupons for but need to find them in my coupon folder to see if the sale item along with the coupon is a good deal.

Johnson's Lotion was on sale this week at Walgreens per their flyer for $3.99 each. I have a coupon for $2.00 off one Johnson's lotion product. If I use this coupon the week of the sale I'll be getting a bottle of Johnson's lotion for $1.99. If I use this coupon when Walgreens isn't running a sale I'll end up paying more for the lotion then if I wait for it to be on sale even with my $2.00 off coupon.

So if I decide to buy this lotion on sale, with my coupon and go into the store and locate the product only to find that the Walgreens brand of lotion is $.99 that week what do I do? Well unless you just adore Johnson's lotion and think it's the best thing ever you'd probably go ahead and buy the lotion. If you're like me and don't have a preference and want to save all the money you can but still have soft, moisturized skin, then you're going to put your coupon back in your purse and buy the Walgreens brand because it's still cheaper than buying a name brand with a sale and a coupon. Make sense? Just because you have a coupon doesn't mean you're getting the better deal. Often times the store brand will be cheaper than the sale item combined with a coupon. Just pay attention to the store brand while you're scoping out your sale items.

A major thing to remember with Walgreens is their coupons in their flyer are store coupons, so stack these store coupons with a manufacture coupon for a great savings.

Here's a stacking coupon scenario for Walgreens:

Walgreens flyer has a $.99 STORE coupon for Dawn dish soap. I have a manufacture coupon for $.35 off one Dawn dish soap. I can use both of these coupons for the same product and get the Dawn dish soap for $.64. You're buying a name brand soap for less than you would have paid for the store brand at this point. If you have more than one Dawn dish soap coupon this would be a good time to stock up on Dawn dish soap.

Side note on Walgreens store coupons: Walgreens usually puts a limit on their coupons. Its on the coupon usually under the sale price and will say: Limit 2, or Limit 4. For the Dawn dish soap the limit was two. So if you purchase two Dawn dish soaps they will both ring up $.99, if you purchase 3 Dawn dish soap the first 2 will ring up $.99 and the 3rd one will ring up full price $1.99. Look for the limits to maximizes your deals. If you buy up to the limit with a manufacture coupon as well then you can stockpile the item for only a few dollars!!!

Walgreens also has an Easy Saver Rebate program that they are discontinuing this week. So I wont go into that until they revise the program and get something started again. Needless to say I was crushed when I got the news.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: