Saturday, May 9, 2009

My EarthBox

I have very few memories of helping in my family's garden and friends gardens growing up. There was one summer, my god-mother who babysat my sister and I for a good while piled us in her car and took us to her mother's house to help dig up potatos. My sister and I didn't really help all that much but I remember doing some of it and liking it.

I usually helped mom plant flowers around the house as well. Then, when I first moved out of my mom and dad's house I remember planting a Rose of Sharon tree/bush right off of my porch...boy did that thing grow fast and boy did I love it. My gramma had given me a cut of one of her bushes. I wish I had though enough ahead to bring some to Alabama with me.

So needless to say. I don't mind getting my hands dirty and planting bushes or gardens. I'm not into the flower flower type stuff but I like Hostas and greenery that comes back from year to year.

So I wanted to plant some kind of garden here in Alabama, but let's face it, the soil/earth down here is horrible and I didn't want to spend a fortune on getting the soil up to standards to grow something in it plus I don't want to be in heat 3-4 days out of the week taking care of the thing. So guess what I discovered? EARTHBOXES or HydroEarthBoxes.

I just made my own, it was easy to make, but did take time to put it all together. I took pictures of every step and have all the instructions on each picture in the below slideshow. I totally recommend it to anyone who wants to grow their own garden but doesn't have time or want all the work that goes into having one. I can't wait for the tomatoes and cucumbers...yummmm.

Side Note If you do decide to make one of these HydroEarthBoxes, please let me know. I have tons and tons of the Garden Lime and Fertilizer left over. I'd be happy to bag some up and pass it to you the next time I see you Leisha. (yeah, I have a feeling this is going to be right up your alley)





If you double click on the slideshow it should take you to the web ablum the pics were uploaded to so you can enlarge the picture and read all of the instructions. Or just email me and I can send it to you that way. :) Jessicamg@gmail.com

1 comment:

Leisha said...

OH MY!!!!! Fill up some bags and let me know what I owe you!!!
We have a neighbour down the street who had some weird looking home depot pails in his driveway - I do believe the mystery has been solved....we just the other day finished getting our "square foot garden" planted - a post to come soon, however I do have a few extra tomoato plants.....I'm serious - bag me some up ;-) By the way...you make me smile!!
;-))))